Friday, October 27, 2017

Instead Of, 10/21/2017

Someone curious about my life as an artist might ask, You haven't always painted and blogged every day, have you?

Dotty: Nope.

Curious: So, that must take considerable time. There must be a whole bunch of ways you used to fill your time that you now don't?

Dotty: Ya got that right. Let me count the ways!

---

Holy mackerel. There are so many things I don't do that I might if I weren't painting.

Today (post written 10/21), for example, instead of vacuuming our lemon-drop-yellow room for guests, I fiddle around with a second q&q cut-up.

Instead of writing lesson plans, I rummage through accumulated paper to explore a collage idea.

Instead of loading the dishwasher, I get out matte medium and a brush.

Instead of rounding up supplies to make a photo display for Jay and Christine's wedding celebration, I now sit on my front porch in warm October afternoon sunlight writing this post, while a dozen wild turkeys walk from our neighbor's yard into ours.

Here's the cut-up I selected:



Here's a tease of my exploration with collage:



OK, off to the lemon-drop room.

8 comments:

carol edan said...

You made my day!! I am just smiling, smiling, smiling.

Sheila said...

I'll say it again... I really like this as is. But, the sliver window peek has me excited :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, your smiles now have ME smiling! Thanks : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, I'm grateful for your feedback re liking this as is. You shake me out of being unconscious as to how narrow my internal perspective can be.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

oh golly I so relate to this. Everything else is just a distraction from painting and writing. Love this strong vertical..wonder where it will go?

dotty seiter: now playing said...

It IS kinda funny watching myself function and make choices throughout a day. I manage to have days that are highly productive but, oh my gosh, it's not for lack of infinite self-sabotage!

The strong vertical is a slice rather than a full photo, to string you along : )

Katie Jeanne said...

I so get it..art consumes your every waking moment after a while, and your dreams, too. I've had nights where all I've done is paint in my dreams..ugh. It makes me feel exhausted the next day.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Hi, Katie. I've painted in my dreams also, or resolved a painting problem in the middle of the night in a moment of wakefulness. Enjoyed reading about your own experience with art's consuming your every waking moment!

Post a Comment