Thursday, September 28, 2017

Abundance

Such abundance.

Such satiety, such a feeling of having all the vertebrae in my spine lined up one above the other with just the right amount of space in between, such fullness of heart.

I have painted up a block of wood and mounted Simplicity on it. 


I've written and inscribed a haiku on the back. 


Altogether, this piece of art has become greater than the sum of its parts and process—and its parts and process have already brought me such abundant great joy.

I stake a claim, scratch
a living from the soil, pause
to take long deep breaths.

Now, off Simplicity goes to a new home, carrying with it gifts of summer weather, my painting time at Takodah, and some delicious post-camp afternoon solitudes in my studio. 




9 comments:

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Sheila. This piece came out of all the best mystery and magic that painting can be, and it stole my heart.

Simone said...

Wow Dotty, this is the way to go! Beautiful! Your words and your art. Wow!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

This is absolutely perfect mounted on wood. And the haiku!!!! YES! I adore this combination of visual image and words. You have arrived, dear Dotty! This is perfection.

Janet Bradish said...

Such a beautiful painting and your care and attention to detail in the 'finishing' of this piece just adds to it's beauty but also speaks to how much you value your work. And the haiku is perfect. You are a very gifted artist Dotty. Have a wonderful day.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, thank you so much for your gracious heartfelt encouraging thumbs-up. I felt such joy as I put this together.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Janet, thank you for your affirmation of my care and attention to detail in the finishing of this piece and your further affirmation of how much I value my work—sweet feedback indeed. I have fallen happily into the nourishing creativity of painting-and-haiku.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, just got off the road from driving to Maine to hang out with my Dad today and into tomorrow! Thank you for saying again what you've been saying for awhile: 'this is the way to go!' So grateful for your ongoing support and encouragement as our respective lives as artists unfold.

carol edan said...

You are so talented! Poet and artist. The special relationship between your vertebrae and that of the leaf really strikes me. Love the special textures and the contrast with the sky. I agree with Jen!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks so much. Fun that you drew a connection between my vertebrae and those tall pines. I had such fun with this piece.

Post a Comment