Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Summertime, Summertime, Sum-sum-summertime

Last Thursday was a busy day—multiple pieces to juggle; much to manage; miles on the highway to navigate; an especially tight schedule between when I woke and when my first student knocked at the door.

But it's summertime summertime sum sum summertime ... summerti-i-i-i-ime!, and in the middle of a lively parade of morning minutes, I stepped right out of my busyness into summertime painting, into complete sensory presence.

I love painting in the summer.

The bare feet. The open windows. The soft air breathing on my skin. The trill of a songbird. The tink tink tink of a neighbor's hammer. The whisper of tearing collage pieces. The smooth flow of a brush as it transfers paint to paper. The gentle resistance of an oil pastel stick against surface tooth. The steady appearance of a black line as a grease pencil travels along a straight-edge. The timeless vacation that seamlessly incorporates itself into the fabric of an otherwise hup-to hubba-hubba morning.

Pure magic.

painting start #4,
second layer

6 comments:

carol edan said...

"Summertime summertime when the living is easy" So glad you are enjoying your painting! Love your additions. Yes magical!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I do love summer weather and painting in warm weather (and I'm not even a plein air painter!). The additions were fun here. Angular lines are not a typical go-to for me but I really liked what those lines and subsequent responses to them brought to the page. Thanks for your comments.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

oooooh those LINES! Love! And now you have me feeling giddy with summertime even though it's over 90% with a million percent humidity....what? Your enthusiasm is contagious!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Well, hot diggity: those lines are regulating and containing and delineating the heat and humidity so you can tap into the essence of summertime freedom!

Aren't those lines fun? They surprised me. A happy surprise.

Sheila said...

At first glance I saw a 3D house of cards. Now it is evolving. I love the cubist feel, and how if I turn my head it becomes something new again! Those lines calm the chaos. Separating and yet, unifying. WOW Dotty! Just a start huh?

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Love the house of cards!

Sheila, thanks for your feedback re the cubist lines' calming the chaos, separating AND unifying. I'm so glad I stumbled into using the angular lines. I've learned a lot. And I'm surprised by how much I like that cubist thing going on.

Post a Comment