Thursday, August 10, 2017

Ltd.

Two sides of my persona duke it out these days in a little ongoing background tussle that erupts in various corners of my mind as I brush my teeth, drive to the Y, and dice zucchini from our garden.

The argument is about what limited means.

One side says, Here are the limits: 16 postcard starts, two brushes, black paint, white paint, and some scribbling tools. And maybe your Camp Takodah clipboard from 1969 for nostalgia's sake. Should fit in a cloth grocery bag with room for a beach towel and sunscreen.

The other side argues, Limits?What are you talking about? Creativity doesn't know boundaries from foundries. What if I want to paint the negative space blue, or umber, or olive? Or crimson? What if I want to stencil? What if I want to collage? What if I need a roller? A makeup sponge? Palette knives? I'm not leaving the house with anything less than an oversized laundry basket.


painting start #1,
second layer


12 comments:

carol edan said...

You can add CRAYONS. Drawing tools+ painting tools. Doesn't take much room. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9HOPdHs6Y Got a newsletter from caran d'dache, Drawback, they are expensive!
I have neocolor I so I add oil medium, also have a few of neocolor II + other watercolor crayons. Guess you know I love crayons.

Sheila said...

HAHAHAHAHA! What if is right. Not worried, your creativity could make pretty from the ugliest crayon in the box. LOL

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Crayons and pastels are on both my short list and my long list! Still haven't decided how I want to approach my at-camp exploration. My original thought was to do a series with the following inquiry: can I work quickly? what can I create with limited materials?, and I liked the idea of limited materials for ease of packing. Stay tuned!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for your laughing with me over my what if what if what if monkey mind. The fact that this is what occupies me is definitely an embarrassment of riches! Thanks for your vote of confidence in my being able to make pretty no matter what.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, just figured out how to open the link you sent (using my dad's PC took a little learning). Oh!!! Clearly I haven't been using my Neocolor II's to half their potential. Thanks for waking me up :)

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Dotty! You always make me smile! You will make magic, not matter what you bring or leave behind.

Joany Kendra said...

You had me LOL with your last sentence! Don't forget to pack some clothes when you head off to camp.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, thank you for knowing I need an angel on my shoulder (on monkey mind's shoulder) helping me simplify!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Oh yeah, clothes! Better start a packing list! Thanks, Joje.

Katie Jeanne said...

haha..well, I guess it depends on your means of transportation. If you're getting there by car, is there room for said laundry basket? If you have to backpack all that stuff into the deep woods, it could get heavy, and annoying to carry. I think it also matters how long you'll be gone. Short trip, I'd say it's not worth the hassle. You also might also just want to enjoy the moment while you can, and not create much art. Long trip..well, that's another story. You'll definitely miss all your stuff. Decisions, decisions.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Going to a YMCA camp for a week of deep R&R with cherished family and friends. Rustic vibe. All meals provided. Going by car. Plentya room for a laundry basket of artmaking stuff, easy to cart it into place, complete freedom to paint or not as the spirit moves me. No matter what, I'll enjoy each moment.

Sheila said...

Always Dotty :)

Post a Comment