Thursday, April 6, 2017

Layer 9/100

Next time I meet someone new who asks what I do, I might just say I'm an explorer.

What do I look for?

Where do I explore?

The inquiry is inside.

I watched a video clip at Nicholas Wilton's blog recently, and those words jumped out. They are still reverberating. No matter how many paintings I look at online, how often I admire one artist's colors and another artist's linework, how often I take note of contrast or brush strokes, how often I study composition and quiet space and detail—and, believe me, I spend hours doing so!—when I paint, the inquiry is inside.

Today I added asemic writing and some line work with broad-tipped acrylic paint markers. That's the part I can give words to.

The internal inquiry? That was wordless.

Layer 9.

layer 9/100

10 comments:

carol edan said...

Thanks for the Wilton reminder. Find it really hard to feel that what I am doing is from within. It's sort of like a meditation. i really admire your exploration. Love that asemic writing, a new term for me.
My grandson has filled notebooks of this type of writing. Our creature has moved to the right..looking up!!! I still love those red marks. Can't believe this is so small! Today we are off to our spa... think hot tubs and relaxation!

Sheila said...

New word for me. Dotty the exploring educator. :) Today this makes me think what a lovely pattern it would make. Lovely skirt or pedal pusher pants. Enjoying the ride along :)

Artbymarion said...

Interesting journey Dotty.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

You're welcome, for the Wilton reminder. Isn't it wonderful how we (all) volley reminders back and forth? In the end, where else can the inquiry come from but from within?

Thanks for your admiration of my exploration.

Asemic writing was a new term to me last fall. LOVED finding out there was such a term!

Casper the ghost does keep drifting around!

SPA! Sounds wonderful! Enjoy!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

As I said to Carol, anemic was new vocab for me, too, learned last fall through a classmate in an online class. Love it!

The Exploring Educator!!

Fun to have you thinking in surface patterns. How does something like this become such a thing? Don't the edges all have to work in such a way that they 'meet' seamlessly to repeat? Pedal pushers!

Thanks for your comments. Glad you're enjoying the ride.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Hi, Marion! Indeed, 'tis an interesting journey! Thanks for stopping by.

Simone said...

Hi Dotty, yes, Nicholas indeed has this point. And indeed it is a wordless inquiry. That's the beauty of it, in this wordy world!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I totally agree, fun to have the balance of wordless in this wordy world! That said, thanks for your words!

Katie Jeanne said...

I'm blown away by how profound this is..I'm going to be pondering it all day as I paint. hm..inquiry is inside. I've never thought about it that way before.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Happy to provoke a bit of pondering, happy to hear what come from same : )

Post a Comment