Tuesday, November 1, 2016

BUSY & QUIET, Day 3

The irony/metaphor of Lesson 8 is not lost on me. One of my ongoing life challenges is finding my personal balance between busy and quiet. Ya know how those lessons you don't master the first time just keep showing up to be learned? Yah. That's my story.

I got going with my third piece, could tell I was too busy to find the quiet within me from which to paint, but just kept painting frantically anyway. 

A scene from the decades-old Disney version of Alice in Wonderland, in which the white rabbit sings, "No time to say HELLO, goodbye, I'M LATE I'M LATE I'M LATE" comes to mind. I just could not get myself to stop long enough to realize there was no on time for which I was late.

My manic hurry-up mentality did have the beneficial side effect, though, of letting me just keep moving. One mess followed another, until my next painting emerged.

color blocks and ink for a third start
Busy and Quiet #3
---
This one doesn't fully pass muster in meeting lesson specs because
 I dispersed the busy-ness again (hadn't been called to task yet),
but at the time of creating it, it read to me as small pops of busy (totalling <25%),
 with transitional areas where the bright colors are veiled (≤25%), and the rest a textured quiet.
And, lesson be damned, I do love this piece!

8 comments:

carol edan said...

Maybe internet explorer will except comments?

carol edan said...

WOW URECKA Internet Explorer to the rescue!!! Love these tranformations. The busy part really links together. Love the puffy background!!! Dream like!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, glad you've got the technology working with you again! Thanks for your comments about this piece. I learned a bunch about how space gets quieted and activated on canvas, and ended up with a piece I like, too.

carol edan said...

Just have to remember to change browers!!!!

Simone said...

Hi Dotty, it is so much fun to see how a fairly straightforward painting can transform into something mysterious. The white veiling literally creates depth.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Simone. It's really quite astonishing to see the transformation that comes from layering, difficult though it STILL is for me to cover and veil!

Sheila said...

Wow, what a transformation. I like it too, and it is good that you are pleased Dotty :) Forgive me... but I see flowers peeking out :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Perhaps late blooming flowers caught under Hallowe'en cobwebbing?

Post a Comment