Sunday, October 9, 2016

IMPROV, Day 1b

OK, here's the deal. This particular workshop, as Jane Davies states right up front, is a fast-paced one. 100 paintings in 10 weeks. In order to get feedback from Jane, a minimum of six paintings and accompanying written observations, submitted together in a single post before the subsequent weekly lesson is released, is required.

This week, the fast-paced element of the class was ratcheted up for me because I knew Dave and I would be leaving for Virginia less than 48 hours after I first laid eyes on the lesson.

Lessons are released on Wednesdays. Lesson 6 showed up first thing Wednesday October 5. I set an intention to complete and post it by noon on Thursday October 6.

Intense.

Both energizing and enervating.

Here's the second piece I did on Day 1 of Lesson 6:

Improv #2

7 comments:

carol edan said...

I find quite interesting sections in this piece. I don't quite get the whole lesson? I love the fine pen lines around the circle shapes and on the background. But there must be a hidden reason behind the exercise!

Sheila said...

Wow Dotty! There is a lot of depth here for something done so quickly. Really loving the shadowy whites, and the top left corner. Light on dark there and dark on light. :)

Simone said...

You are inspiring me with going on and on. Today I could not give the effort to start with Jane's paintings (I made a few starts, but I have to finish them, and I feel too much in a rush with my other paintings). The fact that you steadily go on gives me the hope that I will finish mine too! ;-)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

My understanding: this lesson is about variety in all aspects, and breaking away from default positions of unity and composition to improvise, to really play and thereby let ourselves bump into the delicious surprises that can come from variety. I think???

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila. It is a gift to me to be pushed through these class exercises to create this kind of depth. I am being invited to play and mess about in ways that I might not do under my own steam. Love having you point out specifics that catch your eye.

carol edan said...

In that respect you succeeded! Play is the name of the game, and as Sheila says there are sections that are really are great. I also love top left.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Happy to be inspiring you, as you do me!

Your being busy with your other paintings gives me perspective. While I have many parts of my life competing for my attention every day, Jane's class is the whole of my painting life right now (or at least 90% of it). I'm glad on one hand not to have other painting tugging at me, and glad on the other hand to have your other painting reminding me that I can CHOOSE how involved or not to be in Jane's class.

Happily, I do find that going on steadily with Jane's class brings rich experience and learning and adventure.

Post a Comment