Thursday, June 2, 2016

Beginner's Mind

You know what? I could start my Jane Davies course all over again right from the very first lesson, redo each and every exercise, and learn so much. Is that cool or what?

I am always a beginner.

Every single time I put my brush to canvas.

I went back to the Abstract Landscape lesson again today. I think the word landscape snags me and then I can't shake my brain loose of whatever associations that word carries for me.

So I renamed the lesson: Composition with a Line of Visual Density that Divides a Canvas into One Third and Two Thirds.

Here's my favorite part of today's painting: I like it in every direction!

Shenandoah Valley Airport Tarmac
5x7", acrylic, collage, and wax pastel on unstretched canvas
abstract landscape
2016
$35


Hotel Lobby Art #1
5x7", acrylic, collage, and wax pastel on unstretched canvas
abstract
2016
$35

Hotel Lobby Art #2
5x7", acrylic, collage, and wax pastel on unstretched canvas
abstract
2016
$35

Picnic on the Esplanade
5x7", acrylic, collage, and wax pastel on unstretched canvas
abstract landscape
2016
$35


8 comments:

Simone said...

This is really a beautiful abstract landscape. I like the upper and the lower the best: I guess this 'landscape-thing' is so deep ingrained in me, that I a drawn to it very much.
I love the colours.
And I really like what you say about the beginner's mind.

I absolutely agree with that. This whole painting thing is learning to embrace your being an eternal beginner, I guess!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, thanks for your comments and for our ongoing conversation about our creative lives.

It's fun to have you say you like the colors—I don't even know how I ended up with them because they're not colors I'm inherently drawn to, but I like when I find myself somewhere unexpected, as I did with this piece. And I ended up liking the colors, too.

Always a beginner. I can pretend I'm not, and often convince myself that I'm not, but one of the huge gifts of painting in my life is the hands-on, in-my-face reminder that I am always a beginner. And what a wonderful place that is to be.

Unknown said...

Shenandoah Valley Airport Tarmac! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for commenting! I thought of you as I named this piece, and I thought of you again as I posted my painting, wondering if you'd see it : ) Can you see the tarmac, the few buildings, the runway, the mountains, a few clouds?

Sheila said...

Love them Dotty :) Love how the dark jagged line punctuates the piece :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila! That dark jagged line came from one of my line exercises— last month : )

Anne Wood paintings. said...

Amazing. Love it. X

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Anne. I like pieces like this which surprise me because I look at them and they seem so not me. But, of course, what else could they BE but me?!

Post a Comment