Sunday, May 29, 2016

Lesson 5, Project 2, Exercises 7 & 8

I'm loving this open-grid-collage-and-line assignment. I played with it again today, staying with a 5x8" piece of manila stock as my canvas. I really got into using the white space as a key element in my composition and being spare with my use of collage, a departure from the clutter of an earlier interpretation of this assignment.

Very soothing and satisfying.

Totally loved my handpainted collage paper all over again.

In two past exercises I also started with 5x8". In one I collaged first, drew an ink line second, cut in half last. In the other I drew a fabric paint line first, collaged second, cut in half last. Today I collaged first, cut in half second, drew wax pastel lines last.

open grid collage start

I had fun creating the wax pastel lines. I chose 3-5 analogous colors to add depth to each line.

Postcard 31
4x5", collage and wax pastels on manila stock
abstract
2016
[gifted]
Postcard 31
4x5", collage and wax pastels on manila stock
abstract
2016
[gifted]
I've got these perched in front of me at my desk where they catch my eye as I go about my business. I can imagine a set of four of these in simple frames, providing cheery pops of color, shape, and line in a child's room, or a bathroom, or a spot in a kitchen or family room.







2 comments:

Sheila said...

These are so fun! I love the card in the center. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila. I like #30, too, and it's even better in person—some days I just cannot for the life of me take a photo that conveys the color and texture of a given painting.

Post a Comment