Thursday, May 26, 2016

Capricious

No wonder I struggled with UPDH. I thought the hydrangeas that Carrie gave me a few weeks ago wanted to be painted on an 11x14" sheet of cold-pressed Winsor & Newton watercolor paper.

They did not.

They were waiting over here for me to discover them on a 5x8" piece of standard-issue manila stock.

Capricious little characters!

I started with gesso and a layer of white acrylic. Tossed a few oil pastel lines onto the page. Brushed on some color. Very satisfying—fun to do, fun to look at.



Then I added collage. Found just what I wanted in a Kripalu catalog.

Brushed on more acrylic. Played with some texture.



Grabbed a palette knife and scraped on more color.



Then, more palette knife work, use of oil pastels, brushwork, more texture.



Fiddled with some finishing touches. Headed to my paper trimmer. Done.

Happy painting day!

Postcard 31
4x5", acrylic, collage, and wax and oil pastels on manila stock
abstract
2016
$20
Postcard 32
4x5", acrylic, collage, and wax and oil pastels on manila stock
abstract
2016
[not for sale]






9 comments:

Joany Kendra said...

Loved your blog, loved the evolution of the painting, loved the final post cards. Terrific outcome all the way around!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Joje, thank you, thank you, and thank you. It's so funny how my first pass at capturing the lovely feeling of the hydrangea has presented challenge after challenge (and is in the process of becoming something else altogether), and then I picked up the manila stock and, in no time, there was the sweet hydrangea smiling back at me.

Joany Kendra said...

It is truly beautiful!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

: )

It captures the feeling I have when I see my hydrangea in the bump out window behind our kitchen sink.

Simone said...

Hi Dotty,
This is really great! It is so nice to see how this postcard comes in to being!
Love to see that you are actually selling it!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for your comments, Simone. I really do like working in this size and on this unlikely paper, which came to me years ago as someone's cast off file box dividers. I hope I can find a replacement when my stash runs out. Yes, I decided to let these pieces be available for purchase; thanks for your support.

Sheila said...

So lovely watching you work Dotty. Love the soft sweetness juxtaposed with the geometric textures :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila! I like your seeing the juxtaposition—I felt a bit like a florist making the arrangement, playing colors and textures off each other!

Sheila said...

:)

Post a Comment