Monday, March 14, 2016

From Wallflowers to Teeny Tiny Showoffs

The story of my first Practicing Nonattachment exercise:

Started with an 8-inch square of wallpaper, design side up.
Painted a first layer.
Painted a second layer.
Painted a third layer.
Painted a fourth layer.
Developed a few emerging themes.
Quieted some busy areas.
Added a big red donut.
Cut my 8-inch square into four 4-inch squares.
Developed each one separately with echoing patterns.
Created a series.

At times I felt bold and carefree, no strings attached. At times I really had to push myself to do something that would force me in a new direction.

I present to you four teeny tiny art siblings looking for a home together.

Wallflowers at a Party, I
4x4", acrylic, ink, collage, and oil pastels on wallpaper
abstract
2016
 one of a series of 4
series $64
Wallflowers at a Party, II
Wallflowers at a Party, III
Wallflowers at a Party, IV


















8 comments:

  1. Looks like a party! Crystal clear ice cubes ring, jingling in a glass. Colorful lights mirrored in reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, thanks for your comments. Love the ice cubes and colorful lights! I continue to be fascinated by what a painting can convey, and I'm grateful for your sharing what you see. Great fun for me. More fun, in fact, than a party—I'm not much of a party gal.

      Delete
  2. I love to see this project evolve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simone. I'm realizing that my approach to painting is also evolving. Of course, I suppose it always has been, but I am conscious of a shift right now.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a transformation. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! Will you hang it as a series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinna, thanks for your enthusiasm : )

      These pieces could be framed and hung as a four-square grouping, or 4-in-a-line, or I suppose as two groupings on adjacent walls (I'm thinking of such an arrangement we have in our guest bath), or scattered about in some other way!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! They get along with each other pretty well, not too much bickering or jockeying for favor.

      Delete