Friday, February 12, 2016

Rock-Paper-Scissors

Rock-Paper-Scissors, a simple game played round the world, usually as a way to decide whose turn it is to do something.

There are only three possible outcomes.

Rock crushes scissors. Scissors cut paper. Paper covers rock.

In my studio there often seems to be a game of rock paper scissors going on, little power plays to decide whose turn it is … idea? intuition? technique?

Today brought a mess of such little power plays. I started with a happy section of the blind contour drawing I'd made awhile back. I ended with a 3.75x3.75" dissatisfaction of ink, acrylic, and pastels on watercolor paper.


But then, scissors cut paper. HA!

That square of disappointment became nine little 1.25" square paper tiles—a series of little color-and-line satisfactions to move around a game board.

A whole new game.

And it was my turn to do something!

I made a card and sent it to Carrie.

Rock-Paper-Scissors
4.5x4.5", ink, acrylic, and pastels on watercolor paper
abstract
2016
[not for sale]
















6 comments:

Laurie Mueller said...

It looks beautiful, Dotty! I love the blind contour start!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Laurie. I chuckle at how long ago I made that blind contour drawing, and how I still have a piece of it in my studio waiting its turn, and how I want to do more and more contour drawings. In the interim I've followed so many other intentions and whims, and I have pieces of those awaiting their turn, too. Not to mention the Jane Davies class I intended to complete in January. And more values studies I'd like to do. And hundreds of planes circling the airport awaiting word from the air traffic control tower awaiting word that it's their turn to land. I am rich beyond measure!

Joany Kendra said...

I love everything about this one Dotty, including the narrative. I feel like I'm looking out the window at a world of flowers, not the blinding white snow in my yard on this FRIGID morning!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Joje! Gotta love reminders of warmer lush times and greenery and flowers. STAY WARM! It's only going to get worse in the next 24 hours.

Sheila said...

Love the before, the curves and shadows delight :) And after, oh my... multiple mini masterpieces!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, fun that you found delight in both the before and the after. Thanks for your comments. The nine little tiles presented a new visual playground for me.

Post a Comment