Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Keeping My Suitcase Out

Finished our mopey sad drive home from VA midday yesterday.

But, no reason to put my suitcase away.

I'm heading to ME on Friday!

Painted some new postcard setups to take with me. Every time I paint those setups I'm struck by the fact that for me, even something as self-directed, simple, and low-stakes as making postcards for my dad, who is enthusiastic and entirely nonjudgmental, requires a little leap of courage to get going.

Nothing for it but to do it.

Caroline and Emmy, do you see the face in one of my cards? I didn't even mean to make it, but there it is, just like all the unintentional faces we saw over the weekend!

Funny to think that it'll be my hand that'll continue to work on these, but I have no idea whatsoever as to what they'll look like in the end.

postcard set-ups

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it fun to see what can show up in a painting when stepping back from it? Bet those kids love that face! Not knowing the end result is half the fun!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Yes—fun to see what shows up when stepping back (well, most of the time, anyway)! C&E will love the face. And, yes, not knowing the end result is so much a part of the fun, fun that I've grown into. When I started painting in 2014 I hadn't yet embraced that part of the fun.

Laurie Mueller said...

Funny...we were finding unintentional faces in an abstract piece on Monday that one of the students created. Fun! Safe travels, Dotty!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

That most elemental of human behaviors, always scanning for faces : )

Love that you and your class were finding unintentional faces in an abstract piece on Monday!

Thanks for the safe-travel wishes: always welcome.

Joany Kendra said...

Futh will love these postcards! Have a wonderful time in Maine; wish I could be there, too.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Tweety that he is, Futh keeps all the postcards I send in a stack on the little end table that sits between the loveseat and hutch. It's fun for me to see them there, and to go through the stack to revisit what I've sent. You'll no doubt have a chance to take a look-see yourself next time you visit. Thanks for your enthusiasm : )

Post a Comment