Monday, January 11, 2016

Famous


Famous

I want to be famous 
in the way a pulley is famous,
or a buttonhole, 
not because it did anything spectacular,
but because it never forgot 

what it could do

—Naomie Shihab Nye

---

For Chloe: this little painting,
famous in the way a zipper is famous,
or a bookmark,
not because it will do anything spectacular,
but because it will never forget what it can do.

Hi, Chloe!

Chloe's Zipper
1.5x6", acrylic and collage on paper
abstract
2016
[not for sale]



6 comments:

  1. This is unique! Love the simplicity yet so profound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, thanks so much for your comments. I'm having fun exploring new directions with my painting. I appreciate your taking the time to leave a comment, and I will return the favor momentarily!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. That little poem of Nye's has long been a favorite.

      Delete
  3. Hey Dotty, I love your new banner- the blues sing! And Chloe's Zipper is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, you win the (nonexistent) prize for being the first to comment on my change of banner, which is fitting b/c it was your doing so awhile back that triggered me to realize that's something I could be doing, too. I love the blues in that piece. Thanks for your enthusiasm (cross-referencing your post today : )) for Chloe's Zipper.

      Delete