Saturday, September 5, 2015

Workout

Ya know the space between a rock and a hard place? That's where I am.

Want to paint the cabin we lived in at camp, Cabin C. Went to my studio full of ideas and enthusiasm. Had fun creating an impression of the cabin with just a few strokes, but the rest of the painting was jarring and off.

Wiped it without even photographing it and painted something else entirely to clear my head.

My brain won't let go, though. It is crazy-busy working through how I might paint that cabin.

Puzzle to solve: want to incorporate stylistic touches I see in other painters' work but have no idea how or even if those other styles might fit this scene.

Puzzle to solve: something in me is tight, wanting to magically "get it right" instantly. I hear Dr. Phil asking, How's that workin' for you?

Had the idea to switch to watercolor paper and treat my next go at Cabin C as a study. Bumbled around. Learned some stuff. Set it aside.

Grabbed a scrap of card stock. Flexed my creative muscles again. Learned some stuff. Set it aside.

Did a third rep. Learned some stuff. Set it aside.

A few discoveries:
• haven't found my center yet, my inner place from which to paint;
• am less bothered by missing the mark when I paint on paper;
• had fun cutting out the cabin from study 1 and just working on the fore- and background in studies 2 and 3;
• think the colors in study 1 might work.

For now, enough of this workout—I need a shower!

Cabin C study 1 on watercolor paper
[not for sale]
Cabin C study 2 on card stock
[not for sale]
Cabin C study 3 on card stock
[not for sale]





2 comments:

Joany Kendra said...

Love those green Takodah cabins! They evoke so many great memories. (LOL at your question from Dr. Phil!)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

We put in an explicit request for one of the older cabins with the shutters that you have to prop open with sticks. Nothin' better! As you say, so many great memories.

Post a Comment