Monday, August 24, 2015

Scoping Scapes

I lose myself online looking at paintings far more often and for far longer than … than what? Than I ever would have imagined!

I take note of the paintings that pull me in. Recently: landscapes. Scenes from nature.

What is highly compelling right now is expressive near-abstraction, if that's the correct term, i.e. those renderings that evoke the natural world with a few strokes of suggestion. I can feel my heart open. I can feel exquisitely what a TED speaker referred to, in a different context, as the compelling intersection of clarity and mystery.

I'd like to learn more about how to create expressive/abstract landscapes. How to see what might make a good painting. How to make a good painting from what I see.

On a recent walk back from Singing Beach, the merging of reflected foliage and actual grasses in an inlet caught my attention as the low sun created a spotlight. I snapped a photo.

Then went home to crop the photo until I'd squared off a snippet that appealed to me.

Painted it. Evoked the natural world with a few strokes of suggestion.

Late Afternoon Razzle-Dazzle
6x6", acrylic on gessobord
nature / abstract
2015



No comments:

Post a Comment